Esashi Nishi-Betsuin Temple
The Esashi Nishi-Betsuin Temple was originally the temporary living quarters for Ganjoji temple, built approximately 130 years ago, until it was moved in 1878 to its current location in Honcho and the Dou (main hall) was newly built. Furthermore, in the following year of 1879, it was renamed "Honganji" and the surrounding area began to be known as "Nishimachi." The building uses material brought over by Omi merchants (Omi is present day Shiga prefecture), from their hometown, by Kitamaebune (ships that carried cargo throughout the Sea of Japan).
Oiwake Sightseeing Department
Esashi Town Office
Address: 193-1, Aza Nakauta-cho, Esashi-cho, Hiyama-gun, Hokkaido
Postal code: 043-8560